- Full Time:
- Number of Workers Requested:
- Job Duties:
Agricultural Field Worker (Wine Grapes)
For each activity described below: Non-harvest vineyard work takes place approximately from January 23, 2022 through November 23, 2022. Hand harvest work begins approximately from August 15, 2022 through November 23, 2022.
Description of specific work duties:
- Pruning by hand – removal of unwanted wood from vine.
- Suckering by hand – removal of any extra unwanted shoots on cordons/canes, trunks, removal of any short canes and shoots from the cordon/cane
- Erosion control by hand – install fiber roll, straw mulch, silt fence, water bars
- Replant grapevines by hand in existing vineyards
- Training young vines by hand to stake and onto the fruit wire
- Canopy management by hand – moving wires to position shoots within the trellis system to maintain a vertical growing grapevine
- Leafing and lateral removal by hand – removing leaves from the fruit zone during the growing season; removing lateral growth from the canes within the fruit zone and growing canopy
- Installation and repair of trellis by hand, wires, stakes, hoses and drip emitters in existing vineyards and new developing.
- Pest Control by hand (growth tubes, milk cartons, netting) – install growth tubes and or cartons around young vines to protect plants from feeding animals and to promote good vine growth; install bird netting over the vineyards fruit zone to protect fruit from feeding birds
- Weed control by hand – using mechanical string trimmer for weed abatement and or a shovel (long-handled) to cut weeds from under the vines and for weed control around slopes of vineyards and along adjacent roads
- Crop thinning by hand – removal of clusters during specific times of year to enhance fruit quality
- Harvesting grapes by hand (approximately August 15, 2022 through November 23, 2022)
All hand-related harvesting will be in accordance with California law.
Driving – Only drivers who possess valid driver’s licenses pursuant to California law will participate in driving passenger vans. Drivers will be engaged in daily inspection of van security, driving the workers to the work site locations on work days, returning the workers to the housing facilities when the work day is finished, driving workers to the grocery store once per week. All employees in this position (H-2A as well as corresponding domestic workers), will be given the opportunity to obtain a driver’s license (DL) and register as an FLCE driver on a voluntary basis. The DL and FLCE Certificate are not a pre-hire job requirement. No job applicant will be denied an employment opportunity due to a lack of a DL or FLCE Certificate at the time of application and/or hiring. Further, no worker (H-2A or corresponding domestic worker) will be terminated for failure to obtain a DL or FLCE Certificate. The employer will be responsible for the cost of the California Driver’s License, Class B Physical Exam, and registration as an FLCE driver (if any). Passenger van drivers may also work in the vineyards.
Tractor mowing, disking, leafing, hedging, spraying, and minimal repair work: Set up and operate a tractor with mowing, disking, leafing, hedging, or spraying implements. Also complete small repair work on tractor as needed.
ATV Irrigation: Use an ATV to turn on and off irrigation valves and fix leaks to the irrigation system.
Hand Vineyard Maintenance: Ranch clean up
Vineyard Development: Land preparation, trellis installation, irrigation installation, vine planting, vine training. May need to use tractors.
Harvest work as described above
- Job Classification:
- 45-2092.02 - Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop