- Full Time:
- Number of Workers Requested:
- Job Duties:
- THINNING: Thinning is a manual process used to control the size and quality of grown fruit. The Worker must possess the ability to pick up, handle a 10 ft. or 12 ft. orchard ladder weighing 40 pounds. Furthermore, the Worker must be able to use scissor like clippers. This process requires the Worker to remove, in some cases not limited to the smallest fruit blossom, bud and/or identifiable fruit from within a cluster of other fruits. The Worker will be expected to be able to identify and remove fruit that is misshapen, damaged and/or with other quality problems as directed by supervisors. Thinning may be performed from a motorized platform and/or from the ground or a ladder.
* Training of apples and cherry trees and grape vines to limb tying, trellis tying or clipping limbs to wire
* Training and limb positioning of grape vines and apples and cherry trees
* Hand thinning of grape vineyards and apples and cherry trees to ensure proper crop load
* Shoot thinning, sucker removal, cluster thinning, shoot positioning, hedging, leaf removal of grapevines - for apples and cherry trees and grape vines
* Propping and tying of cherries, apples trees and grapevines
* Moving wires in grapes for light exposure
* Training may be performed from a motorized platform and/or from the ground or a ladder.
PRUNING: Pruning numerous varieties of apple and cherry trees and grape vines according to established company procedures based on the difference in the treatment of different varieties. Work will be performed on trees for long periods of time using a variety of pruning equipment including hand shears, hand loppers, power pruners, chainsaws, hand saws, and 10 ft. or 12 ft. ladders. Pruning may be done from the ground or a ladder up to 12 feet in height or from a motorized platform. Workers may be required to selectively prune only trees of a certain size and color as instructed by the crew boss.
Workers expected to possess or acquire pruning skills in order to identify and remove stubs or broken branches, downward-growing branches, branches which rub against each other, shaded interior branches, dead wood and shoots/suckers with hand pruning saws and clippers, mechanized equipment in pruning activities.
NURSERY Work: Worker will perform any combination of the following duties concerned with preparing soil and growth media, cultivating and otherwise participating in horticultural activities under close supervision on acreage, in nursery: Hauls and spreads topsoil, fertilizer, peat moss, and other materials to condition land; digs, rakes and screens soil; fills growing tanks with water; plants, sprays, weeds and waters plants, shrubs and trees.
- Job Classification:
- 45-2092.00 - Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse