- Full Time:
- Number of Workers Requested:
- Job Duties:
- This is an application for heathers, vines, ground covers, perennials, ornamental grasses. Work duties include preparing soil and growth media, cultivating and otherwise participating in horticultural activities on acreage, in a nursery or in environmentally controlled structures such as a greenhouse or shed.
There are general conditions of employment, general job specifications and individual requirements that are specific to each job duty:
Worker will perform any combination of the following duties concerned with preparing soil and growth media, cultivating and otherwise participating in horticultural activities under close supervision on acreage, in nursery or in environmentally controlled structure such as greenhouse and shed: Hauls and spreads topsoil, fertilizer, peat moss, and other materials to condition land; digs, rakes and screens soil, and fills cold frames and hot beds to prepare them for planting; fills growing tanks with water; plants, sprays, weeds and waters plants, shrubs and trees. Sows grass seed and plants plugs of sod and cuts, rolls, and stacks sod. Traps and poisons pests such as moles, gophers, mice, etc. Plants shrubs and plants in containers. Ties, bunches, wraps and packs flowers, plants, shrubs and trees to fill orders. Moves containerized shrubs and trees using wheelbarrow; digs up shrubs and trees and wraps their roots with burlap.
• May dip rose cuttings into vat disinfect cuttings prior to storage.
• May fold and staple corrugated forms to make boxes used for packing horticultural products.
• May be designated according to employing establishment as grass-farm laborer (agriculture); greenhouse laborer (agriculture); nursery laborer (agriculture); rose-farm laborer (agriculture), etc.
Job Specifications Include:
1. Caring for trees in the nursery;
2. Work in nursery environment performing various job duties such as planting, potting, watering (by hose or carrying buckets), and filling up flats;
3. Care for plants during the growing process (hoeing/tilling/watering);
4. Load/unload sod/growing materials onto/from the truck;
5. Transport trees and shrubs weighing up to 70 pounds;
6. Worker will assist in planting and/or harvesting ornamental trees intended for wholesale market; and,
7. Weeding, cleaning, and pruning trees.
- Job Classification:
- 45-2092.00 - Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse