- Full Time:
- Number of Workers Requested:
- Job Duties:
- Crops: Sweet Potatoes, Milo, Corn, Soybeans, Vegetables and Produce.
Worker must possess the physical strength and endurance (ability to continue or last) to repeat the harvest process though out the workday, working quickly and skillfully to perform activities assigned during that activity. Workers must work at a sustained (continuing for an extended period of time without interruption), vigorous pace (quick and steady) and make bona fide efforts (made in earnest intent) to work efficiently (performing or functions in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort) and consistently (same way for a long time) that are reasonable under the climatic and other working conditions, Workers may not leave trash, or other discarded items in work areas or vehicles but must dispose of such items in provided receptacles. Workers must wash hands with soap and water after all bathroom and meal breaks. Allergies to varieties of ragweed, goldenrod, insecticides, related agricultural chemicals, etc., may affect worker’s ability to perform the work described herein.
Sanitation Requirements: For food and general personal safety purposes, all workers will always be required and expected to follow common sanitary practices. This is particularly critical when hand harvesting crops for human consumption. Employees are required to cleanse their hands by washing them thoroughly with soap and water after using the bathroom and before entering the fields for harvest activities. All workers must report all injuries and illnesses to their employer. As well any communicable disease such as but not limited to diarrhea, or any other infectious disease or illness. Workers shall report immediately any cuts or abrasions that cause open bleeding.
Greenhouse: Workers will perform duties in the greenhouse to start seedlings.
Field Duties: Perform all tasks involved in the growing and harvesting of employer’s crops. This includes for sweet potatoes: bedding, cutting slips, transplanting slips with the use of mechanical planting equipment, pulling and/or chopping weeds, harvesting with the use of mechanical harvesting equipment and field grading sweet potatoes. This also includes, for other crops (soybeans, milo, corn, cotton, wheat, vegetables) pulling and/or chopping weeds.
Field primary duties and responsibilities
1. Cut sweet potato slips, stack slips into cartons, load cartons onto truck.
2. Use mechanical sweet potato planting & harvesting equipment.
3. Planting, picking, grading, washing and packing produce.
4. Use mechanical forklift for unloading full bins from harvesting equipment onto trailer for hauling.
5. Field grade sweet potatoes by separating #l's, #2's, Jumbos and canners into separate harvesting bins.
6. Pull and/or chop weeds from fields.
7. Maintain a clean and safe work area.
8. Notify supervisor of any mechanical or material issues.
9. Notify supervisor of any violations.
10. Clean work area after work assignments are completed.
11. Perform other related duties and assignments as required.
Physical environment/working conditions: The position in the field involves stooping, bending, kneeling, standing, walking, and lifting 75 lbs. for long periods of time throughout the day. Work environment can vary depending upon various factors including weather. Generally, the work environment will be dirty, dusty, and/or damp, with extreme temperature fluctuations according to the season.
- Job Classification:
- 45-2092.00 - Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse