- Full Time:
- Number of Workers Requested:
- Job Duties:
- GENERAL FARM LABOR:
Thinning: Thinning is a manual process used to control the size and quality of grown fruit. Worker must possess ability to pick up and handle a 12-foot orchard ladder weighing 60 pounds. Worker will remove the smallest fruit blossom, bud and/or identifiable fruit from within a cluster of other fruits. Workers will be expected to be able to identify and remove fruit that is misshapen, damaged and/or with other quality problems as directed by supervisors. Thinning may be done from the ground or a ladder up to 12 feet in height.
Pruning: Pruning numerous varieties of fruit trees according to established company procedures based on the difference in the treatment of different varieties. Worker must possess or acquire pruning skills in order to identify and remove stubs or broken branches, downward-growing branches, branches which rub against each other, shaded interior branches, dead wood and shoots/suckers. Worker will perform pruning on trees for long periods of time using a variety of pruning equipment provided by employer including hand shears, hand loppers, hand saws, chainsaws, and 12-foot ladders. Pruning and thinning may be done from the ground or a ladder up to 12 feet in height. Workers may be required to selectively prune only trees of a certain size and color as instructed by supervisors.
Weeding: Worker will be required to weed fields, orchards and strawberry patch. Worker will weed by hand, with hand tools such as a hoe or mechanically. Worker will be required to identify and remove undesired plants, without causing harm to or removing adjacent plants. Worker will be required to stoop bend, and work on hands and knees for long periods of time. Hoes will only be used in the weeding process as directed by supervisor.. Worker will be required to efficiently use the hoe without causing damage to plants and may be required to solely hand weed if supervisors find hoe damage to plants.
Other Job Specifications Include:
1. Worker will hand thin fruit trees to ensure proper fruit load on tree.
2. Worker will prune and train and position fruit trees sometimes to trellis, including clipping and tying limbs and shoots to wire from the ground or ladder up to 12 feet in height.
3. Worker will complete farm clean up tasks to include picking up garbage and plastic around the orchard, picking up roots and rocks, removing old string and wire from trellis and orchard blocks, and other hand tasks.
4. Worker will complete landscaping maintenance along perimeter and throughout farm, including weed-eating, trimming brush and tree limbs.
5. Worker will assist with tearing out small trees, piling brush and other orchard and field maintenance tasks.
6. Worker will paint tree trunks and posts with glove-like mitt or paint sponge.
7. Worker will weed and hoe in farm areas as directed by supervisor.
8. Worker will stake as instructed by supervisor.
9. Worker will plant and complete other hand tasks to establish and maintain orchard areas, including shoveling, picking up roots and rocks.
10. Worker will organize, clean and sanitize harvest tools, equipment and containers, as directed by a supervisor.
Pay will be hourly.
- Job Classification:
- 45-2092.00 - Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse