- Full Time:
- Number of Workers Requested:
- Job Duties:
- Field Workers: Celery (Organic and Conventional), Lettuce, Truck Driver, Bus Driver to perform the following duties:
Organic Celery and Conventional Celery Harvest-
All work is performed in the field on the farm:
Field worker to harvest celery, organic and conventional. Cut, bunch, pack, and load fresh celery in the field. Cutting is done on harvesting machine by using hands and cutting knife. Using a harvesting hand knife and bending at the waist, the employee cuts the stalk from the roots and trims the outer stalks from the stalk to prepare it to be packed into a carton, a tote or a bin. The process is repeated. Worker responsible for cleaning of equipment and maintenance of yard.
Field worker to harvest green leaf, red leaf, butter, iceberg, romaine, romaine hearts. Cut, bag, pack, and load fresh lettuce in the field. Cutting is done on harvesting machine by using hands and cutting knife. Using a harvesting hand knife and bending at the waist, the employee cuts the head from the roots and trims the outer leaves from the head to prepare it to be packed into a carton or tote. The process is repeated. Worker is responsible for cleaning of equipment and maintenance of yard.
Field worker to harvest bulk lettuce. Cut and core fresh iceberg lettuce in the field. Cutting and coring is done on a harvesting belt using hands and a cutting/coring knife. Using a coring knife and bending at the waist, the employee cuts the lettuce from the root, trims the outer leaves, cores the center of the lettuce with a knife and places on belt. The process is repeated, workers are responsible for cleaning of equipment.
General Labor- Weeding using long-handled hoes, transplanting, runner cutting, plant thinning, and ranch maintenance, pulling plastic, pulling of drip tape, cleaning of old and new vegetative growth on plant bed. Plant bed will be classified as “Medium” or “High” according to the amount of runners and new/old vegetative growth present during performing work task.
Crew Lead- Team Leaders will additionally be responsible for checking quality, filling out paperwork, and receiving order for production. May clock in other workers.
Tractor Driver- Tractor drivers will drive and control tractors in fields.
Sanitation worker- Cleans, pressure washes, and moves restrooms on farms/fields.
Machine set up- Worker will check the machine for water and diesel; Put sticker on bags; Supply cartons for the day and put on the machine; Open or close machine; Put machine where crew will start; move trailer, drive tractor and caterpillar.
Bus and Cal Van Driver Specifications-
1. Driver may drive over the road in passenger vans or buses with a GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) capacity of more than 26,000 pounds.
2. Driver will drive designated vans or buses to transport harvest crew workers to and from housing and worksite locations. Driving job duty is not a different job and the drivers perform harvesting job duties when not driving.
3. Driver will be responsible for filling bus or van with fuel and keeping vehicle clean.
4. Driver will be required to complete and process periodic driving reports as required by state laws.
5. Driver will be required to follow all California traffic laws and if applicable, vanpool rules.
6. In order to drive, drivers must possess a valid authorized driver’s license and must be able to pass DOT (Department of Transportation) recognized medical exam and fulfill all other DOT requirements.
7. Cal Vans performs the medical exam at no cost to the employee or employer. The employer will be responsible for the cost of the registration as an FLCE driver (if any).
See Addendum C.
- Job Classification:
- 45-2092.00 - Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse