- Full Time:
- Number of Workers Requested:
- Job Duties:
- Worker must possess the physical strength and endurance (ability to continue or last) to repeat the harvest process though out the workday, working quickly and skillfully to perform activities assigned during that activity. Workers must work at a sustained (continuing for an extended period of time without interruption), vigorous pace (quick and steady) and make bona fide efforts (made in earnest intent) to work efficiently (performing or functions in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort) and consistently (same way for a long time) that are reasonable under the climatic and other working conditions, Workers may not leave trash, or other discarded items in work areas or vehicles but must dispose of such items in provided receptacles. Workers must wash hands with soap and water after all bathroom and meal breaks. Allergies to varieties of ragweed, goldenrod, insecticides, related agricultural chemicals, etc., may affect worker’s ability to perform the work described herein.
Sanitation Requirements: For food and general personal safety purposes, all workers will be required and expected to follow common sanitary practices at all times. This is particularly critical when hand harvesting crops for human consumption. Employees are required to cleanse their hands by washing them thoroughly with soap and water before and after using the bathroom and before entering the fields for harvest activities. All workers must report all injuries and illnesses to their employer, as well any communicable disease such as but not limited to diarrhea, or any other infectious disease or illness. Workers shall report immediately any cuts or abrasions that cause open bleeding.
The following description of job activities applies to apples and cherries: Care must be taken at all times to ensure fruit is free of bruises and defects.
Workers will perform various tasks involved in planting, cultivating, and harvesting fruit according to supervisor’s instructions. Workers may till soil, plant stock, pick up rocks/roots/debris, and do pruning activities using a variety of non-mechanical tools. Workers will harvest fruit according to color, size and degree of maturity as specified by supervisor and place into half-bushel baskets taking the extra time, care, and effort not to bruise or scar the fruit. Workers may windrow full containers or carry full containers weighing approximately 50 lbs. to truck or trailer and stack according to supervisor’s specifications. Fruit thinners will thin fruit using hands to remove excess fruit, taking care to walk around entire tree before moving onto next. Workers will be required to stay on their assigned row.
Work activities & rules include but are not limited to:
• The production and hand-harvesting of apples.
• Site preparation work for all crops according to the employer's instructions.
• Other specific work activities may include tree planting, picking up rocks/roots/debris, installation/maintenance of irrigation, pruning and training of vines and trees, machinery operation, hand harvest of apples and. Worker may also be required to apply and work with crop protection materials under supervision with necessary training.
• Hand harvest apples will be placed into picking pail or bag that is strapped to shoulder. Worker may be required to climb up to 16 ft ladders during pruning and harvest. Workers must be willing to clean ground as well (also known as picking up apple drops). Harvested fruit are to be handled carefully and workers must unload/deposit apples into 18-20 or 6-10-bushel boxes on orchard floor or on a trailer.
• Specific work rules and food safety rules will be provided at the time of employment and all work performed must be done in accordance to employer’s work rules and food safety program.
• Work does not include non-agricultural work.
- Job Classification:
- 45-2092.00 - Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse