- Full Time:
- Number of Workers Requested:
- Job Duties:
Work is in a citrus fruit packing facility. Duties include sorting, packing, grading, and/or stacking fruit according to grade, color and size by hand or with mechanized packing equipment without bruising the fruit; discard any defective fruit, may weigh fruit to obtain specified weight per container. Adhere to food & safety requirements by maintaining a clean and sanitized workstation. Work on the production packing, grading, and/or stacking lines.
● Pack citrus produce, such as grapefruit, oranges, mandarins, lemons, tangelo, clementine, lime or any other citrus produce, for storage or shipment, performing a combination of the following duties: lines box, barrel, basket, bag, carton, tray or crate with treated paper, cardboard, excelsior, or prepared padding, or inserts paper trays or separators in container.
● Selects produce for packing according to size, color and grade before packing.
● Utilize the proper and correct packing materials.
● Place rows of produce in layers in containers, and insert excelsior or paper trays after each layer and over top layer of produce, or scoops produce into the container.
● Wraps produce in treated paper, foil or plastic film wrap before placing produce in the container.
● Packs exposed top layer of produce, arranging produce in successive rows in a container in predetermined pattern. Pack into specified patterns and pack by size.
● Fits lid onto container or designated container.
● Efficiently sort and pack product following established packing procedures.
● Pushes finished product onto conveyor line.
● Workers will pack according to grade, color and size of fruit by grasping fruit with their hands from the production packing line without harming or bruising the fruit.
● Discards any inferior or defective fruit that do not meet quality requirements to pack
● Ensures that the top row of fruit in the carton has the blossom end of the fruit upward and shows the highest quality fruit.
● Marks carton with appropriate identification information
● Maintains work station floor clean of dropped fruit or packing materials
● May weigh packed produce and add or remove produce from the container to obtain specified weight.
● Examine and inspect containers, materials, and products to ensure that packing specifications are met
● Clean, sanitize, and otherwise help to maintain a sanitary production environment
● General cleaning of packing and grading areas - sweeps, mops, scrubs, wipes and picks up rubbish off the floor and cleans conveyors
● Work will be performed in a packinghouse facility with various temperatures from both hot to cold weather, standing for long periods of time, and must be able to lift 40 lbs repetitively. Work may also be performed in a refrigerated environment.
●Grade quality fruit by discarding damaged, defective fruit, trash/debris, foreign objects and rotten fruit.
●Sort fruit by specific grade requirements as per variety and market demand.
●Grade and sort citrus products according to color, species, length, width, appearance, feel, smell and quality to ensure correct processing and usage.
●General cleaning of packing, grading or stacking areas - sweeps, mops, scrubs, wipes and picks up rubbish oﬀ the ﬂoor and cleans conveyors.
●Lifting and stacking ﬁnished cases of packed citrus fruit onto a pallet to be pulled into the cooler for storage. Keep the packaging lines moving by stacking boxes on pallets at the end of each packing line. Select an empty pallet based on the current product being packed and place it in front of line. Conﬁrm each carton and tray has a print and apply sticker on it before stacking.
●Apply corner boards to pallet loads in a safe and eﬀective manner. Cut strapping and wrapping string in preparation for the day's work. Strap and/or wrap pallets of packed cartons/trays. Operate wrappi
- Job Classification:
- 45-2092.00 - Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse