- Full Time:
- Number of Workers Requested:
- Job Duties:
- CHERRY/PEAR/APPLES/APRICOT Harvest: The Worker will hand harvest apples, pears, apricots and cherries this can be performed from a motorized platform and/or from the ground or a ladder. The Worker will attach harness, bucket or bag and picks low hanging fruit while standing on the ground and higher branches while standing on a ladder. The Worker will pick according to grade, color and size by grasping fruit with the hands as well as using stem clippers for removing fruit from the tree so as not to harm adjacent buds on the tree branches. The Worker will carry harness, bucket or bag of up to 20lbs to 60 lbs. and will place fruit into plastic lugs which hold approximately 30 pounds of fruit or wooden bins, 4’x4’x3’ which hold approximately 25 bushels of fruit. Care must be exercised at all times to prevent bruising of fruit or breaking of branches. The Worker may be required to examine harvested fruit in plastic/wooden bins and sort out any fruit not meeting the grade, color and size specifications.
THINNING: Thinning is a manual process used to control the size and quality of grown fruit. This process requires the Worker to remove, in some cases not limited to the smallest fruit blossom, bud and/or identifiable fruit from within a cluster of other fruits. The Worker will be expected to be able to identify and remove fruit that is misshapen, damaged and/or with other quality problems as directed by supervisors, worker must be able to use scissor like clippers.
TRAINING: Training is a process in which the fruit tree is manipulated to increase yield and/or quality and proper fruit load.
Some example training tasks are but not limited to:
• Tying, taping or clipping apple, pear, apricot or cherry limbs to wires.
• Tying up or down apple, pear, apricot or cherry limbs.
• Training and limb positioning of apple, pear, apricot and cherry trees.
• Shoot thinning, sucker removal, cluster thinning, shoot positioning, hedging, or leaf removal.
• Propping and supporting apple, cherry, apricot and pear trees.
See Addendum C: A.8a Job Duties Cont., A.8a Additional Job Duties 1.1, A.8a Additional Job Duties 1.2, A.9 Additional Crop or Agricultural Activities and Wage Offer Information, A.9 Add Crop or Ag Activities & Wage Info Apples 2, A.9 Add Crop or Ag Activities & Wage Info Apples 3, A.9 Add Crop or Ag Activities & Wage Info Apples 4, A.9 Add Crop or Ag Act and Wage Info Cherries 5, A.9 Add Crop or Ag Activities and Wage Info Pears 6, A.9 Add Crop or Ag Activities & Wage Info Apricots 7
- Job Classification:
- 45-2092.00 - Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse