- Full Time:
- Number of Workers Requested:
- Job Duties:
- Field Workers (Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackberry Harvest and Mixed Vegetable Harvest-Broccoli, Artichoke, Cauliflower, Carrots, Beets, Leeks, Celery, Onions, Corn, Peppers, Chard, Kale, and Radish) to perform the following duties:
Strawberries: Workers will perform duties associated with and directly related to strawberry harvest work, including but not limited to picking and packing for fresh market and freezing/juicing in the field on the farm. Distinguish quality and ripeness is required during picking and place in tray/packing containers ranging from ¼ lbs to 6-2 lbs containers in the field. The number of lbs. of the containers/trays carried by workers range from 8 lbs to 20 lbs each. Workers may stack up to two trays on top of each other weighing up to 20 lbs. Pickers will work on a strawberry picker machine to aid harvest as well as ground harvest. Strawberry ground/table crews will not use machine aid.
Raspberry and blackberry: Working in rows, the worker bends over and picks berries with hands; places the berries in a box - a full box weighs approximately 3 lbs.; when the box is full the worker walks and carries the box with berries to the packing table located at the end of the row in the field on the farm. The worker returns to the row to continue ground harvest.
Mixed Vegetable Harvest (Broccoli, Artichoke, Cauliflower, Carrots, Beets, Leeks, Celery, Onions, Corn, Peppers, Chard, Kale and Radish): Workers will harvest broccoli and cauliflower by cutting the head from the plant, cleaning and packing into a plastic or carton box, Broccoli will be packed in bunches in the field on the farm. Workers will harvest carrots and beets by digging into the ground using a shovel or a tractor depending on the mugginess of the ground, make bunches and wash them to pack into a plastic or carton box, the packed boxes weigh between 5 lbs to 25 lbs and workers will be lifting said boxes in the field on the farm.
Plant Cleaning: Workers will remove unwanted plants, pulling plastic, pulling of drip tape, cleaning of old and new vegetative growth on plant bed. Plant bed will be classified as Medium or High according to the amount of runners and new/old vegetative growth present during performing work task.
Workers will accompany crops to first point of retail (i.e., farmers market) and load and unload crop commodities. Workers will not drive transport vehicles.
Additional job duties: Land preparation, planting, and weeding.
The employer specifies that the workers will be using a long-handled hoe (longer than 4 feet) for all weeding activities.
• The workers will perform hand weeding (organic and non-organic, not exceeding 1.5 inches) and are found around the plant and cannot be remove with a plow or hoe. For organic produce it is essential to perform hand weeding.
• Title 8, Section 3456 states 'nothing in this subsection shall be construed as prohibiting occasional or intermittent hand weeding, hand thinning, or hand hot-capping in a stooped, squatting, or kneeling position that is incidental to a non hand-weeding operation. For purposes of this subsection, occasional or intermittent means an employee is devoting 20% or less of his or her weekly work time to hand weeding, hand thinning, and hot capping'.
The employer hereby confirms that the amount of time spent hand weeding is intermittent and significantly less than 20% of the workers' scheduled hours.
• The workers are provided gloves and training at no cost. Specifically, they are given time each day to warm up, and are given trainings regarding avoiding work-related injuries on a regular basis. The workers are not provided knee pads because the workers will not be kneeling for any of the job duties.
Workers may occasionally and/or sporadically perform duties associated with and directly related to the primary duties. Such work will be temporary and unsubstantial agricultural labor.
- Job Classification:
- 45-2092.00 - Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse